It’s summer, and that means concert season has begun! Now that it’s officially July, you can start counting down the days to this summer’s Sunset Concerts at the Skirball. It all starts on July 24 with a performance by Noura Mint Seymali and continues every Thursday night through August 28.
Sunset Concerts are fun, festive events to share with friends and family. Each concert offers you a night filled with music and dancing, and the concerts are all FREE! Every concert showcases a different style of music, so make sure to check out the Skirball website for a complete line-up. The concerts begin at 8:00 p.m., but try to arrive early because the seating is first-come, first-served!
In my opinion, Sunset Concerts are especially perfect for a romantic date night. If you are looking to impress that special someone, I’ve outlined the recipe for a romantic summertime evening below:
- I would suggest planning ahead and packing a picnic. Who doesn’t love to be courted with a home-cooked meal? If your date has any special dietary needs, check out my recipe for a vegan Greek salad. As with any great recipe, there’s room for modifications; for instance, you can add feta cheese if you prefer to make a nonvegan version. Along with the salad, pack a baguette or crackers, your favorite hummus, and grapes or strawberries to nibble on. (If packing a picnic isn’t your style, you can purchase a complete meal on site at Zeidler’s expanded grab-and-go cart, featuring gourmet sandwiches, salads, hot dogs, and assorted other goodies.)
- Remember a picnic blanket and don’t forget plates, flatware, and napkins. Just be sure to leave coolers and lawn chairs at home.
- You are only allowed to bring nonalcoholic beverages into the venue, but don’t worry—the bar is open for business and offers a selection of wine, beer, and specialty cocktails.
- On-site parking is $10 per vehicle (and keep in mind that it’s a cash-only operation). Please note that street parking is not permitted (you’ll get towed!). Oh, and don’t leave your Skirball parking stub in the car! You will have to show it to pick up your tickets.
- The doors open at 7:00 p.m., and the band goes on at 8:00 p.m. Use that hour before showtime to head up to the balcony and stake out a spot on the grassy area above the stage. This area is a lovely, intimate setting for picnicking while enjoying the music playing below. And new this year, every concert will be preceded by a DJ set. On the first night, Tom Schnabel will spin before Noura Mint Seymali takes the stage.
- When you are ready to dance, lead your partner to the front of the stage, where the two of you can dance the night away.
- When you’re ready for a break from all that dancing, why not take a stroll with your sweetheart through the Skirball galleries, which are free and open until 10:00 p.m.? Currently showing are Fallen Fruit of the Skirball and The Snowy Day and the Art of Ezra Jack Keats. Please note: Noah’s Ark will not be open during Sunset Concerts.
Sunset Concerts are perfect for everyone; they provide you with the opportunity to be close to the ones you love. For more tips on how to plan ahead like a pro, check out the 2012 Sunset Concerts post and get ready to enjoy an unforgettable night!